Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Introducing Gus...

Okay, so "Old Man" was what I thought a very fitting and endearing name for the new addition to our household. But in no-uncertain terms, my parents told me it was AWFUL. So, some how Gus kind of fit... The above picture is of Bugenhagen and Gustavus surveying their habitat and guarding the golden squeeky!
The Old Man Gus, is doing very well. He unfortunately had a bout with a tapeworm (GROSS) but 4 pills solved that problem. The vet thought he looked pretty good for an old guy...even though he slopes down in the back, he's got good muscles and otherwise looks pretty healthy. The one lump on his chest is a tumor however, the lump on his neck is just a cyst. He and Bu are starting to get along better and better. They are fighting over prime real estate -- aka my bed -- but are also finally not caring if one or the other gets to be on the bed at the same time! Soon everyone will be out and on the floor, but it has been a way for them to get used to each other.

Gus has the most endearing way of greeting me when I get home. Bu plays the cool dog..."Hey you're back ... were you gone long?" Gus on the other hand, as soon as my car pulls in the garage, starts howling! Once I open the door, the happy dance starts! A great self-esteem boost every day. Routine: I walk in the door and proceed to the other door to the deck and yard. Bu contentedly walks out for a bit of love, perhaps some brushing, and of course time to "get busy." Again, Old Man doesn't quite live up to his name for a minute and bounds around happy to have a person back in his presence. And with a bit of coaxing he wanders off into the yard to "get busy" himself. (I'm thinking his owners walked him more then me...he sometimes needs me to walk into the grass with him to let him know it's time to go potty... hopefully this will end before winter. I'd really like to open the door and let the dogs out without having to find shoes, coat and go with them!!)

All is busy at our house...trying to find a new rhythm to our life and days. And heaven help us we're almost out of dog food!!! Better get to the store tomorrow as my life might depend on it!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Love the new name and your right it does 'fit' sounds like hes fitting in well and Bu's doing a great job... the vets right hes fine lookin for an old guy

Dexter said...

Ha! My stupid brother has the same hang-up. He won't get busy unless momma comes outside and at least stands on the deck. I don't get it.

I am like the Old Man myself. I howl as soon as I hear the car and then get all wiggles body slamming when momma comes in. I think she likes it.

Slobbers,
Mango

Allison Walton said...

My Gus says, "Haroo, Old Gus!" We are so happy that everyone is settling in together. He certainly is gorgeous!!

Wuv,
Gus and Waldo

Dexter said...

Hey guys! My kibbles are a combination of Back to Basics and Taste of the Wild (half and half). I have kind of a sensitive tummy and it took momma a long time to find kibbles that kept my poops proper. Also that Taste of the Wild stuff has not grains or something.

I mix it because the TOW is too high protein to be my only foodable. I sometimes get fresh fruit and vegies with my meals or even baby food (all natural vegie baby food with nothing extra in it - that is for when momma is lazy).

Slobbers,
Mango

Moose said...

Awww! Gus is a great name but 'Old Man' is rather endearing IMO! You could always address him as Señor Gus as perhaps a more subtle way of saying it. Ever since the vet called my Moose a senior I have been calling him Señor Moose so as to not offend him!