Monday, May 5, 2008

Neck Brace--Oh My!

I wish I could have put the x-rays up on his blog -- WOW -- you could see how rounded off Bu's vertebrae were. Yes, indeed, it was what causes Wobblers. There was NO doubt in Dr. Durkes' mind. (Nor in mine after the x-rays....which I am glad that it was pretty obvious that something was going wrong. The ambiguity was pretty far removed.)

We (Bu, Myself, My Mom) arrived in Marion at about 8:30 and met with Dr. Durkes -- and in an instant Bu was whisked away. *sniffle* Okay, probably for the best that I didn't have time to have an emotional good bye! We looked at the xrays and then talked about the procedure. Then, my mom and I had to waste time till about 1:30. There isn't that much shopping in Marion -- but we found some things!

Great News: Bu did very well...there was a lot of involvement on his right side, and lower neck -- but, the blood wasn't black there. (The darker the blood, the worse it is in that muscle.) He was shaved all the way down to his shoulders...but that's cause the skin moves so much. So, where we see the last needle holes, is not where the gold beads are!

Bu got up completely on his own. This is REALLY good. It sometimes takes getting the owners back there and trying to encourage the dogs to stand up -- who wants to be wearing a neck brace and trying to swing yourself up!? But, he was up and ready to go when we came to pick him up.

BUT -- what he REALLY REALLY wanted -- was to go OUTSIDE! My poor boy was being so noble and held his bladder. We got to the grass outside, and I swear he pee'd for about 5 minutes! Honestly! HE HAD TO GO!!!

We hopped into the car and drove the 2.5 hours home. I rode in the back of the car with him. I figured he'd be more uncomfortable than he was...but he did just great. We've been home for awhile. You can see his big huge neck brace that he'll have to wear for 3-6 weeks.
Dr. Durkes seemed very hopeful for a good recovery. We will know more progress in about 2 weeks....Then he'll be back to "normal" (hopefully) in about 2 months or so...BUT, it will take about a year for all of the internal structures to be healed. Because Bu's still growing, this should hopefully help so that his vertebrae will re-structure the way they should be (not as rounded off so that they don't wiggle) and hopefully his ligaments will shrink back to the length that they should be.
All this -- not a problem. I'm feeling more relieved that it seems very hopeful and that Bu isn't going to rapidly deteriorate into a place where it would be more humane to put him to sleep. I want my boy around for a LONG number of years!!!
Again, more information -- See Dr. Durkes' Webpage: http://www.durkesanimalhospital.com/

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear about Bu's surgery. I am sure he will do fine. We love our dogs and have suffered through their sicknesses and their deaths.

There is no better living example of unconditional love than what we see in our dogs everyday.

Anonymous said...

What a brave boy! He just has to know that he is so handsome, even with a neck scarf!

I love you Jen and he looks terrific.

Love,

Patti

Kat said...

Yeah Bu! And yeah Bu's mommy for making it through a scary ordeal! Here's hoping a quick and healthy recovery happens.

Love, Katrina

Dexter said...

Bu! Its a miracle! It is so totally cool that you are moving around so well. The neck brace matches your fur! Its a look.

I still don't quite understand what the wobblys are, but I will vist Dr. Durkes' web site. I'm just glad you are better.

Slobbers,
Mango

Anonymous said...

Bu and Jen,
I'm so glad the surgery part of this ordeal is over. Here's to a quick and smooth recovery! **lifts Pepsi can and takes a drink**

I love the pics of him in your car and in the new back yard. He is one handsome pup-dog that's for sure.

Clay's Mommy said...

Oh Bu! So sorry you had to have an operation but hopefully this fixes things and you aren't wobbly any more!
Jack and Abby

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor baby :( I feel so sorry for you, but you are obviously a brave boy (and your mom is brave for facing this with you!). I'm so sorry you had to have surgery, but also glad there is help for you. May you have a speedy and successful recovery!!!!

So glad you were close enough to this vet to have the surgery, too. How amazing is that?

Hey, maybe mom can get some big bandannas for your neck :)

Best wishes, and do keep us all posted on your recovery!!

Behr Behr :)
http://behrrake.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Bu - wow - you are so brave - are you getting sort of tired of that thing..... love the picture of you in your big back yard - enjoy it with master Jen hope everything goes well for you - wish I could drop by and sign your cast :) Lucy - signing off

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Oh Jen thats brilliant and I cross my fingers all goes well in recovery...the neck brace must drive him nuts...it looks so uncomfortable...does he try to get it off at all?

Randi said...

Oh BU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy you made it thought your procedure OK & that all you need now is some TLC (turkey legs & chicken...) & you'll be good as new!

I'd love to sign your neck cast...maybe your ma can put a big Randi paw print on the side...

We love you BU!!!!!!!!!

Love & Licks,
Randi

ps..my ma wants to say to your ma..."all our thoughts & prayers are with you & Bu though this difficult time...dont' you wish they could talk & let you know exactly what they need? They are amazing creatures & make us better humans!"

Dexter said...

Hi Bu - Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you are healing OK.

Mango

Anonymous said...

I need to contact site admin urgently. Can you understand me?
Thank you