Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bu and the Big Bad Bird...

Sorry, I haven't been posting. Things have been crazy, and I have a dog who, when he is awake, is AWAKE! We've been enjoying this lovely weather and spending a lot of time outside. LONG LONG walks are the best things that we do together these days. Mr. Bugenhagen is just still so very mouthy to play fetch much. (I have the bruises to prove it!) Of course, when he doesn't want to go back to our yard, he just throws himself down on the ground and refuses to get up. GRRR!!! Once we do get back to the yard, being lazy around the yard was just grand. UNTIL...

The big bad bird came along! Bu stirred up quite a ruckus under the big lilac bushes in the corner of my yard. There was some kind of big black bad bird who was trying to protect it's young -- and Bu really ticked it off! The bird would squeak and squwak like crazy. Then, it started to dive bomb him! Now, Bu, is a rather peaceable dog (except to my body) and he pretty much ignores the birds or rabbits that come in the yard. He watches and is amuzed, but he doesn't chase after them. (Which, for me, is a great thing!) So, when, out of seemingly no where, there comes a bird dive bombing him...he just looks startled and confused. This, leaves me in stitches. For about a week, this bird was just furious at the dog -- and I tried to get a picture of a bombing...but it just never was captured on film. Finally, the baby bird that the momma must have been protecting was found under the bushes -- at first I thought dead...second notice it was still alive...third time I checked...dead. Sadly, it got tossed onto the other side of the fence. Now, I'm sad to say that the baby didn't live ...but grateful that Bu didn't try to touch/eat/roll on it...and grateful that the big bad bird that was bombing Bu is "bye-bye"


Here are a few pictures of Bu and the Bird ... my favorite is #2 (It looks like Bu is sticking his out his tongue in a raspberry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee...I love the bird story. (Well, not the poor baby bird dying..but Bu's reaction to the bird dive bombing him.) It reminds me of when my Baron (Mini-dachsund) would 'chase' the birds out of HIS yard...the funny thing was the birds were only flying over the yard. He'd spot them coming, run over the the fence that they were about to fly over, then 'chase' them, barking, the entire length of the yard. It was too funny to see this little weiner dog doing this.

jen. said...

*nods* It was funny...(minus the sad ending for the bird...though my neighbor said they were mean birds that keep the song birds away so perhaps nature in it's cruel way was being balanced.) I can just imagine a dog protecting his yard from birds!